High School Youth Ministry (9-12 grade)
Goals for Ministry with young people
Goal 1: To empower young people to live as disciples of Jesus Christ in our world today.
Goal 2: To draw young people to responsible participation in the life, mission, and work of the Catholic faith community.
Goal 3: To foster the total personal and spiritual growth of each young person.
(Renewing the Vision: A Framework for Catholic Youth Ministry by the National Conference of Catholic Bishops)
What does a typical Youth Group night look like?
The Lakeshore Catholic Youth Ministry meets on Sunday nights from 6:30 pm until 8 pm. Youth ministry nights typically start in the Holy Family Gym with a sport or activity of some sort. After that, we typically go up to the youth room for some bible study, catechesis and faith sharing led by Fr. Tyler or various speakers and presenters throughout the year. We always end in prayer together. Once a month instead of going to the youth room, we gather in the Church for Eucharistic Adoration, Praise & Worship, and Confessions.
- 1st Sunday – Questions & Answers with Fr. Tyler – Got questions? Ask them or submit them in writing
- 2nd Sunday – Scripture Night – We will break up into groups to look at next Sunday’s Gospel passage. After some study and discussions, each group will take turns presenting a “mini-homily”.
- Third Sunday – Adoration night – Alexis Grover, choir teacher at TAHS, will help organize a teen choir to lead us in praise & worship music during Adoration of the Blessed Sacrament. Fr. Tyler will be available for individual confessions or if anyone just wants to talk.
- Fourth Sunday – Topic/Presenter night – Topics will include: Scripture, Sacraments, Catholic Morality, Prayer and Spirituality.
- Fifth Sunday – Saints night – In groups, we will flip through Butler’s Lives of the Saints and try to stump Fr. Tyler. If we can find a Saint Fr. Tyler doesn’t already know something about we will read about it and write a prayer introducing this saint to the parish in the bulletin.
What else does the youth group do?
Throughout the year we typically have an Advent overnight retreat in December and a Lenten overnight retreat in March. We also have in November during Homelessness Awareness Week a cardboard sleepout to be in solidarity. We also have an annual canoe trip at the end of the school year in June or July. Every other year students from the High School youth group travel to the National Catholic Youth Conference which in Indianapolis, IN. In a distinctly Catholic setting, the National Catholic Youth Conference invites participants to encounter Christ, experience church, and be empowered for discipleship. Another community-wide youth event we participate in is JESUS NIGHT – 4-5 times a year a gathering of young people from all the different churches in town to come together and celebrate our common faith in Jesus!
Can Parents and other Adults help?
We are looking for a constant adult presence on Sunday nights (6:30-8:00 pm) to walk with our teens as they explore their faith. What does an adult do at a youth group meeting? Sit with the teens, learn their names, listen, guide discussions, give a talk, be a leader, play games, laugh, smile and have fun! We are in need of adults to help support our growing high school youth program. If you are interested contact Fr. Tyler.
Youth Ministry Registration Forms – 2020/21
- 2020-21 Youth FF Registration Complete
- Click here for : Electronic Communication Consent (high school only)
To receive text updates on Youth Ministry events:
To sign up for Remind simply send a text message to 81010 with the message: @hfshyouth
CLICK HERE for a link to add this calendar to your calendar
Youth Ministry News & Events
Please click to print PERMISSION SLIP – HFSH Canoe Trip 2020 – Copy
#GivingTuesday is today May 5. In response to the unprecedented need around the world, the #GivingTuesday initiative is being done today. As a parish, we have been so blessed by…
The Diocese of Phoenix put together a comprehensive guide to Holy Week at home: including prayers and readings, activities for children, videos, and even recipe ideas. CLICK HERE Holy_Week_Activities Pack…
Please click here and follow directions for Our Lenten Kingdom of Happiness Streaming Video Series : Saint Benedict Press-streaming-instructions
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD